Monday, October 15, 2018

My Friend Karen

     I think of Karen quite often, but yesterday was the big day.  You are wondering why Sunday, October 14, 2018?  No it was not her birthday.  I can't even remember my grandchildren's birthdays.  Landon had his on Oct. 12 which was last Friday, and he was at our house, so I was reminded all day.  Does not mean I will remember next Oct.  No, it was not the day of her death.  I would have to look that date up also.  It was back in February. 
     The day started off by being a Fall day, trees changing color and leaves falling.  Karen loved the fall colors so much, that she would jump in the car with her husband John and travel to follow the colors of Fall.  This involved many fall trips traveling across states to find the best colors.  She also loved the whole fall thing about campfires and hay rack rides. She would plan yearly church hay rack rides at Santa Woods.  As the number of kids increased at church, she needed more hay rack rides to hold everyone.  A lot of the increase was due to her many grand children attending Millard Community Church.  She would have fall camp outs with her grand children as they hung out around a camp fire making memories.  
     Then yesterday while at church, it started to snow.  Karen loved the snow as much as the fall colors.  She would hear about snow in a nearby state, and then jump in the car with John, and travel to see and play in the snow.  She loved road trips, so the snow would give her a chance to kill two birds with one stone. 
     She also planned snow outings with the grand children such as sledding at Mahoney State Park.  I think she called the weekends "Grandma's Winter Wonderland".  Sometimes the snow would melt, but she and kids still had fun.  I remember one winter, she had scheduled winter snow family pictures.  The snow was not on the ground, so she hung fake snow flakes in the trees for the pictures.     
     I do not like the snow and cold.  That is one reason we travel south in the winter.  I sat at church complaining about the weather, since we were going to go camping with our camping club Sun. afternoon, but we canceled out.  Karen would have went camping in the snow.   I sat at church and thought of Karen and prayed for her husband, children, and grand children.  Karen loved going to church and learning God's Word.  She was able to see her children and grandchildren growing up and studying the Scriptures also.  She also loved the chance to get together with her church friends also.  We have been going to church together and friends for a long time.  My girls and her kids hung out and grew up together.  
     Yesterday, was that day when memories filled my mind.  Also blessings filled my mind, so I wanted to write about memories and blessings on this cold day. Monday, Oct. 15,2018.
     Blessings:  I know I will see Karen again, since we both believed that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and rose again.  John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    Children and grandchildren are blessings from the Lord.  I have lost count of the grandchildren that Karen had maybe 30 or 40?
    Eye sight:  getting another shot on Thursday morning to save the little bit I still have.  Karen lived for years with only one eye, since one was removed due to cancer.  You could not tell, by the way she drove and got around.  Maybe a little by the way she pulled out of driveways, asking where did that car come from?
    Health is a blessing,  I survived a brain aneurysm/stroke Jan. 2012. I am still around to make memories with my grand children.  I may not remember them later, but hope they will. That is one reason to write things down.  A guy from church that had just started visiting, but knew a lot of folks died yesterday from a stroke.  I think, he had 10 children and a wife. 
Karen had various health problems, from cancer to kidney transplant but never complained.  She had her faith and love for the Lord that got her through her struggles.  She worried more about her husband John's health than hers.  He is still suffering in ill health but hanging on for his family.  She told him that he needs to hold the family together and to toughen up on her death bed.  She also wanted him to share the gospel at her funeral.  He was able to speak at her funeral, making one of her final wishes true.
   I just remembered that there are spiritual health blessings that we get when we read and study the Bible.  That health gives us the strength to cope with physical health problems and death of a loved one.  Helps us in surviving the cares of this world/life.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment